Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 20

Today turned out to be a very productive day.

I woke up around 10:30PM to prepare for a Come Fly Away audition.  Come Fly Away is a show choreographed by Twyla Tharp and is a very hard and technical dance show.  It was an audition for the tour.  Given my want to stay in town and ballet never having been my strongest suit, I wasn't stressing about this audition.  I figure it would be good to go in, bee seen, and have class.

Because I wasn't stressing, when I did the combinations given to me, I just tried to have fun with them.  I danced as best as I could and had fun while I did it.  And to my surprise, it worked.  I got past the cut, got past the second combo, was brought back to partner, and asked to return again the next day at 11AM.

I was pretty psyched about all this.  I mean I was keeping in step with some pretty talented guys, not to mention one who had a luscious ass and amazing package.  Not that I notice those kind of things in auditions.  But this audition did kind of screw up my plans for the coming week, not to mention that day.  I was supposed to have a therapy session at 4PM which was when they wanted me back to partner.  Luckily I was able to reschedule for Friday.  And as for calling me back at 11AM the next day, that was another can of worms.

A few weeks ago I signed up and paid for a $525 on camera acting class was was to take place the day the called me back. The class lasts from 9:30AM to 6:30PM.  So a 11AM callback would take me out of that very expensive class.  I didn't want to have to reschedule the class because this teacher's classes fill up quickly and he only has a couple a month.  At the same time, I'm not in a position to be turning down callbacks for potential good, well-paying jobs, no matter how much said jobs don't fit into what I consider an "ideal" jobs.

So with a few phone calls and a bit a finagling, I figured out a schedule that would work for day 21.  I would go check into my class at 9:30AM and explain to the teacher about my callback.  I'd stay in the class until 10AM and then hightail it to Pearl Studios to warm up and audition.  I would stay until the latest, 1PM and then hopefully grab something to eat and get back into my class for the second part of the day hoping to not have wasted away too much of my $525.

After figuring all that out, I decided to head to the gym and take my friend's street jazz class.  I really like taking from him.  I love the movement he comes up with and it's a nice departure from the strictness of ballet, or the frustration of tap, and the familiarity of contemporary and jazz.  Not to mention, it's great cardio.  However, I have found that it really hard for me to hit the gym afterward and lift hard.  And after a lengthy day of auditioning and cardio street jazz, today was no different.  So, I steamed showered and went home.

To prepare for the early morning callback the next day, I decided to treat myself like I was in school again.  I soaked in a hot tub filled with epsom salts, bath beads and bubble bath to soak the pain of the day away.  And I finished the night with rubbing arnica gel on my sore muscles.  At the same time I was trying to ease the pain, I was happy it was there.  I mean this wasn't sharp, injury pain I was feeling.  This was the pain of a hard day of dancing; of work.  This is the pain I love.  It's the kind of pain that reminds me that I do something special and amazing that not all people can do.  And that pain feels good.

No wonder people think dancers are masochists.  We kinda are.

Netflix/Hulu+ of the night: Desperate Housewives
Non-alcoholic beverage of the night: Bedtime tea with honey


No comments:

Post a Comment