Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 21

3 weeks and counting, well, not counting my celebratory drink and shot.  And frankly, I don't because I didn't even get buzzed from it.

Today was the doozey of a day where I would be running back and forth from audition to class and all in a dance belt.  For those of you who do not know what a dance belt is, please refer to the daily picture at the end of this entry.

The back and forth went well. 

7:15AM:  My auto-brew coffee maker clicks on and brews a pot for me.

7:30AM: (UGH!) I wake up.  Make a quick breakfast and pour some coffee.  I eat breakfast and get ready while watching an episode of Desperate Housewives on the iPad.

8:30AM: I'm out the door on the way to the subway.  I live on 192 and Broadway.  At this time a day it will take me at least 45 minutes total travel time to get to my class at One on One Studios on 27th and 6th.

9:15AM: I get to my class early  in order to explain the situation of my day to my new teacher.  He was very accomodating and explained the entire class that he understood we were all human adults and a two-day, 9 hour/day class is a large chunk of time that we all might not be able to give our full presence to.

9:55AM: I give my presence to a train heading back uptown to 36th and 8th.

10:15AM: I get to Pearl Studios and start warming up.

10:30AM: Two of Twyla's assistants teach me and the rest of the group of callbackers another partnering combination to show Twyla in addition the three combos we already knew.

11AM: Twyla shows up and we begin to audition.  I dance with my partner, not very successfully as I just learned this combo and it's way before my normal risetime.  We continue to dance two other combos and I did more or less just as well as the day before. 

11:45AM: We were all dismissed from the audition with the explanation that they had a lot of things to put together and combine and arrange and get rid of etc.  So I get dressed, squat under the bathroom hand dryer to dry the sweat out of my hair, and pack up my dance clothes.

11:55AM: I grab a double espresso from Starbucks.  (See above re: risetime)

12PM: Back on the train downtown to class.

12:15PM: I enter class in the middle of a lesson, and try to catch up.  After seeing two of my classmates go through a scene a few times, I'm secretly ok with the fact that I didn't have to do that because of my audition recess. Our lessons continue and I become more and more enthralled with how simple our teacher is making all the mechanics of screen acting appear.

1:30PM: We are given our scenes to study over lunch and perform when we get back.  I'm pretty confident that with this new information, I won't be half bad at this stuff.  Our teacher tells us that, with no judgement, that we will all suck.

2:45PM: We get back from lunch and begin to put our scenes on film, and prove our teacher right.  It's not that we sucked.  It's that we were just given this information.  To get the information, understand it, process it, and then be able to use it takes time and practice.  And that's what we were doing.  Practicing and analyzing. 

6:50PM: The class runs over so we can have all of our scenes analyzed.  We are assigned two scenes for the next day.  One to have ready for the morning and one to start thinking about for the afternoon.  Our teacher once again assures us, that we won't be good. 

7:00PM: I pick up some cat food and litter from the pet store around the corner from One on One Studios.

7:10PM: Back on the train to go uptown and study for the next day.

Once I got home, first I took off my dance belt, then I went over my scenes and tried to dissect the script the way my Bob, my teacher, told us to.  I felt really excited to be doing something new and interesting and have the tools to do so.  I'm sure my teacher was right and that I wouldn't be the best at it.  But in a way that was comforting.  Whenever I'm learning something, I usually get frustrated if I don't do something perfectly, or at least very well right off the bat.  But if an expert has already layed out and explained that it takes time, and is more than willing to help us and give us the tools, it kindof takes the pressure off of trying to be perfect, and gives you the freedom to experiment and play until you get it better.

I'm really excited for the second part.  I hope I suck.

Netflix/Hulu+ of the night: Desperate Housewives
Non-alcoholic beverage of the night: Bedtime tea with honey


No comments:

Post a Comment