Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 22

Today was another early wake up call for day two of my acting class.

For some reason I seem to enjoy staying up so late at night until I can only possibly get at the most 5 hours of sleep.   I think I got about four and a half before waking up at 7:30AM again to head to day two of my acting class.

Day two went about the same as day one.  We read, and filmed, and analyzed.  I thought I was getting better at interpreting the scenes based on the new information and techniques I was given. 

I was wrong. 

Well, not completely wrong, just not right either.  And when he pointed out what should have been the main focus, it seemed so simple.  They were simple, little adjustments that had to be made, but they made all the difference.  The difference between playing the scene and playing the emotion.  And moreover, the difference between getting the job and not.

After doing the scenes and seeing other people's work, I started to realize (which was reinforced by my teacher) that I need to practice a lot more in order to get better.  I would like to take more class, but at upwards of $400 a pop, I'm gonna have to wait until I have a little bit more inflow of cash.

Aside from noticing my lack of/slowly growing technique on screen, I couldn't help but notice how I looked too.  Not terrible, by any means.  One girl even said "handsome" when I was first on screen, and my teacher pointed out that it should be very easy for my female counterparts to play that they're attracted to me.  However I did notice that under the not so great lighting that seems to accompany on-screen auditions as well as this class, the scars on my forehead stood out quite a bit.  I had chicken pox really bad as a child.  I almost died from them.  And they left me with permanent scars.  I've had them since I was two, and therefore too young to remember my reflection without them.  I've grown used to them in the mirror, but it was different on camera. They distracted me, and I imagine they might distract casting agents.  I've thought about getting them fixed and I'm now hoping to find a way to do so.  After all,as we've seen in this blog, vanity and career drive my decision making processes.  Getting rid of those buggers on my head will make me more camera ready.  But again, money is tight.  So I'll research some options and see what's feasible.

I wish I could have gone home after my class, but alas, duty called.

As ICONS is going up in NYC in just a few weeks, we have to start getting the word out.  And just like some of the ladies in our show promoting a new album, that requires going and performing at gay clubs.  After rehearsing a bit at my friends'/producers' apartment, we headed over to Splash for their Katy Perry night.  We were scheduled to do our Katy Perry number at midnight.  Midnight came and went.  So did 1AM.  And as I'm not drinking, the free drink tickets we received as payment were not helping to pass the time.  Finally around 1:30AM I strutted onstage in my small pink shorts and knee socks to dance backup once more for my queens.  It went over well and a few of the twinky strippers seemed to want to get into my pants.  I wanted to get into a cab and go home.  And after procuring some money from my friend/producer, that's just what I did.

When I got home, I fed myself a little and for some reason wasn't tired.  I blame the sugar free monster energy drink and diet coke I bought with my free drink tickets.  So I blogged and kept myself awake until 5AM.

All in all, a good day, with far too much caffeine.  Maybe that will be the next thing I take a break from.

Netflix/Hulu+ of the night: South Park
Non-alcoholic beverage of the night: Misc. caffeine


No comments:

Post a Comment